Register for M-PESA
You can register for your M-PESA account for FREE at any of our authorized M-PESA agents countrywide.
To register, go to an authorized M-PESA Agent and:
Step 1: Replace Your Old Safaricom SIM Card
Upgrade your Safaricom SIM card if necessary at a fee of Ksh50 (All new Safaricom SIM cards have the M-PESA menu)
You will only be required to replace your SIM card if you have the old Safaricom SIM (black or light green in colour) which does not have the ‘Safaricom’ item under the menu. If you have the new generation SIM card (deep green in colour), registration will be done immediately.
The agent will copy your SIM card contacts to the new SIM before effecting a replacement.
Step 2: Register as New M-PESA Customer
Register for M-PESA for FREE: You will be required to provide:
- Your Safaricom mobile number
- Your first and last name
- Your date of birth
- An original identification document
To register for M-PESA, you will be required to present one of the following original identification documents:
- Kenyan National ID
- Passport, Military ID
- Alien ID
You will be asked to attach a copy of your ID to your registration form* if you intend to receive more than Ksh100,000 into your M-PESA account per calendar year (January – December).
*copies of identification documents will be forwarded to Safaricom for record keeping.
Step 3: Activate Your M-PESA Account
M-PESA will send you and the Agent an SMS confirming that the registration has been successful. Activate your M-PESA menu on your account using the '4-digit Start Key' sent to you by M-PESA as per the following instructions:
- Go to Safaricom menu and select M-PESA
- Select ‘Activate’ or ‘Wezesha’
- Enter the ‘Start Key’ (4-digit number received from M-PESA)
- Create a new PIN (a preferred 4-digit number that will be your PIN)
- Confirm the PIN by entering the 4-digit number again
- Enter your ID number (same as the one the agent entered upon registration)
M-PESA will send a menu to your phone with a ‘Secret Word’, press OK on receipt.
If you do not receive a Start Key upon registration or accidentally delete your Start Key SMS:
- Call line 234, or go to any Safaricom Retail Shop and request for a new Start Key
- A new Start Key will be sent to you via SMS on your mobile number
- Activate your M-PESA account as per instructions above
You require your M-PESA PIN to send or withdraw money from your account and while using the M-PESA menu on your Safaricom SIM. You must keep your PIN secret and should therefore choose a combination that is easy for you to remember, but difficult for others to guess.
Do not share your M-PESA PIN with anyone, not even Safaricom staff. You can change your PIN at anytime from the M-PESA menu on your phone.