Safaricom Roaming Service
The following terms and conditions apply to the Safaricom Roaming Service (“the Service”) and by using the Service you will be deemed to have read, understood and accepted the same:
This Service enables eligible Safaricom subscribers to automatically make and receive voice calls, send text messages and use mobile data or access other services when travelling outside Kenya, by means of using a visited network.
This Service is open to all Safaricom Prepay and PostPay subscribers.
Effective date of the Service
These terms will take effect on 8thJuly 2021 from 0000 hrs.
How to activate the roaming service
Before you travel, you are required to ensure that the Roaming Service is activated on your line. For PostPay subscribers, please dial 200. Roaming is automatically updated on a PrePay line.
To activate Roaming via USSD
- Dial *200# and select “Products and Services”.
- Select “Safaricom Roaming”.
- Select “Activate roaming service” and either:
- Data, Voice and SMS
- Voice and SMS Only
- Accept the terms and conditions, “Ts&Cs” as published on www.safaricom.co.ke.
- Enter your M-PESA PIN for authentication.
- You will get a text message confirming successful activation, for example:
“Your request has been received. You will receive an SMS notification shortly. Thanks for choosing Safaricom roaming service.”
How will I be billed for making calls
When you make a call, you will be charged the applicable rate as indicated in our tariff schedule.
How I will be billed for receiving calls
- Your caller will be charged the relevant local, national or international calling rate.
- You will be charged for the international part of the call from Kenya to the country you are roaming in.
How will I be billed for Data services
When you browse the internet on your phone, you will be charged according to the published roaming rates for data. All your roaming costs will be reflected in your next bill (if on PostPay subscribers).
“Personal Information” means personal identifiable information as prescribed in the Data Protection Act which includes but is not limited to name, address, phone number, identification number, location data.
Collection of information
We are required by law to collect certain personal information and are legally obligated to deny you the service if such information is not availed.
Apart from the legal obligation mentioned above, we also need to collect your Personal Information for quality service delivery. Please note that although this is voluntary, without such information we may not be able to provide quality service.
We are committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of the information we collect from you. Our privacy statement, as updated from time to time, explains how we treat your personal information, who we share your information with, and measures taken protect your privacy when you use our Service. This can be found on Safaricom Data Privacy Statement. If unable to access the link or our website, please reach us on any of our customer care channels to receive a copy.
When registering a minor as a Safaricom subscriber, a person with parental authority shall open and maintain an account in their name for and on behalf of the minor. For purposes of these Terms and Conditions, a person with parental authority shall include the birth parents of a minor, legal guardian or other person who can demonstrate legitimate authority over the minor’s affairs.
- Safaricom reserves the right to amend or vary these terms and conditions or to withdraw the Service at any time. In any of these events, notice will be given via SMS to the eligible subscribers and will be effective immediately or as at the date referred in such notifications.
- Save as modified above, these Terms and Conditions are supplemental to and subject to the published Safaricom PostPay Service Terms and Conditions.
General Terms of usage
These Terms and Conditions are available at www.safaricom.co.ke